Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  The Homefront  ~  The all-purpose Minecraft Thread
lalalei2001
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone here played Minecraft?

...I haven't. ^^; but i heard it's really immersive and fun!

EDIT: Courtesy link.

www.minecraft.net

Last edited by lalalei2001 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

venort
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

lalalei2001 wrote:
Anyone here played Minecraft?

...I haven't. ^^; but i heard it's really immersive and fun!

I have... in less than a day I have a source of obsidian and three diamonds. as a temporary measure, I've got a cracked version (I will of course be getting the real deal in a couple weeks. how can I not?)
so far, I've found a dungeon in a cave linked to a mine I started inside my house, lots of redstone, three diamonds, some reeds and tons of other stuff.
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Minecraft was described to me as "a level editor, as a game."

Considering I used to build Doom levels (of similar visual complexity to Minecraft) and I got to the point where I was building levels more than 'actually playing Doom,' Minecraft sounds fun.

I'll get it when I have my own computer.

Visit my Bandcamp!
On Facebook? Become a fan! Or, uh, "like" me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linksicle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

I'd offer up my account for Protobros to try the game out, but I'm pretty sure it got compromised and the guy running the game literally has no way for you to contact anyone or get anything done in that case.

It's a sandbox building game with the ultimate adventure game crammed inside as well.

you give her some o dat $$$
and namedrop me
and she'll draw you some shit
crash426mnb
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

oh i lost my life for like 3 days to minecraft. its addictive as hell. it also has a the ability to give you great game stories to tell. I.E. i dug a tunnle a bazzilion feet in the ground and found tons of ore and then i was killed, i then proceeded to for the next week (game time) to fight and dig my way oout of my own hell.

great fun is mine craft but pointless.
Trevor aka Otens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

I tried it but to me, it's just a 'meh.' kind of thing.

venort
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

>mine obsidian >get lost on the way out >die >lose all my items, including a diamond pickaxe and all the obsidian I mined with it >my face
lalalei2001
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Venort was kind enough to gift me a Minecraft account! *is happy and wants to repay him*

Classic is free, apparently, and alpha is what I was gifted. So i guess I'll try that.

EDIT: I began my adventure on some sort of desert island. I destroyed a bunch of blocks to get 35 sand cubes. After fumbling with the controls and nearly drowning, i figured out which button gave me the opportunity to change them., Things should be a bit easier here on out!

Linksicle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

newbie guide

you give her some o dat $$$
and namedrop me
and she'll draw you some shit
lalalei2001
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

First I drowned because I didn't know opening up the inventory left you open to hazards, like the water I was submerged in. By the time I figured it out, I had died, losing all the sand blocks, wood and misc. objects I had procured. And what was even worse was the time I respawnedóvery close to night, when the monsters come out. With no time to gather resources to build shelter, i had only one option. Mine, and mine deep.

I dug myself as deep as I could until i was sure I was safe, building a small tunnel to the right so I could move. Then I realized I could no longer see the sky. I then attempted to make stairs so i could at least climb out if I needed to. Unfortunately, this was hampered by my character's lack of jumping skills.

I wedged myself into a ledge and started to dig straight up, frustrated. that's when i found out some objects ARE affected by gravity.

i finally figured out how to get out from underneath the block. Shivering and with half a heart left, I paused the game to type this up and contemplated switching to Easy mode.

laconic version: Died once and almost died again, and still haven't run into any monsters. XD

So then I continued.

Turns out a sand block was what almost killed me. After painstakingly making some stairs, i saw daylight! I had SURVIVED! (barely)

Just a few more sand blocks and I could get out....

Oh god why are there bubbles. And why is theróWATER!

So yeah... A few blocks away from freedom I struck water. Made a handy waterfall, too. Luckily it didn't drown me...

I died, but restarted after not saving. Found myself in that cave again, and decided to dig myself out properly this time.

The scary part was I heard growling and shuffling around, which I had NOT heard on my first excursion. I realized my hidey-hole didn't feel safe anymore, and tapped at the walls tentatively. I wasn't ready to climb out yet.

When the sun came up, i was relieved... but the growling continued. Carefully, I poked my way out, and found some wildcats or something similar had made a camp fairly close to my hole. I also saw the water trap I fell into last time.

After climbing out, i headed to land, and began to make more wood from trees.

And then the sun started to go down. D:

venort
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

right then...

fort coalstone is practically finished, just got the tower to extend a bit further. next thing I'm building is going to be fort ironore, which will be similar in that it consists of a mine, a farm and a tower but different in that it will be entirely man-made (coalstone was mostly carved out of the cliff face where I first found coal). basically there's a bridge (containing a small desert) leading to what will become ironore, which will contain another tower, mine shaft beta and a reed farm. when fort ironore is finished, work will commence on fort redstone. in other news, I found a dungeon (got myself a saddle and a record Very Happy) and a load of clay.

oh, and I built myself a boathouse Very Happy
lalalei2001
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

I screamed, guys. out loud.

After dying, refinding my gear and barely surviving anther night, I decided to make my base stronger, taller. So after waiting til afternoon, i began to mine around it.

CREEPER JUMPS OUT OF ROCK AND KILLS ME.

ON EASY. DDD:

venort
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

lalalei2001 wrote:
I screamed, guys. out loud.

After dying, refinding my gear and barely surviving anther night, I decided to make my base stronger, taller. So after waiting til afternoon, i began to mine around it.

CREEPER JUMPS OUT OF ROCK AND KILLS ME.

ON EASY. DDD:

maybe they're just shy:
lalalei2001
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

XD That makes sense...

venort
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

today's progress:

mine beta has reached level I. coalstone's tower is progressing nicely, work has commenced on ironore's tower. the plan is to finish the first floor of ironore's tower, then complete coalstone's. I have plenty of everything (except wood) and in general everything is going well. oh, and a pig fell into mine beta when I was excavating level A. might post pics later, might not.

oh, and mine alpha is officially completed. last of the cobblestone extracted from it's depths was smelted into stone today and used for coalstone's tower.