Protomen - the Comm Forum Index
<  We Are The Dead  ~  Hidden URL?
Srever
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Hey all, this is my first post, i made an account just to post this.

I did a quick search to see if anybody else had posted this yet, but apparently not, or I'm bad at searching.

I just received my cassette of "I drove all night", and looking at the back, noticed a barcode. After thinking back to the whole "tastyvein" thing, I quickly hopped onto google and started messing around...

The barcode is in "code 128" format, and after some (painful) translation, the barcode spells out "coverupfilm.com"

coverupfilm.com ... The website is essentially nothing, saying only "recently registered" at namecheap.com. I don't know where this is going, but I'm going to keep looking.

Considering the barcode itself had a URL in it, i assume the numbers underneath have something special as well. (1155161 729520)

Just thought it was a neat thing to point out.

UPDATE: The numbers definitely have a message, a fitting one at that.
11 - K
5 - E
5 - E
16 - P
17 - Q
2 - B(?? 21 is U...)
9 - I
5 - E
20 - T

Even if it says Keep Quiet, I won't.
lalalei2001
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Wow o_o Sounds like the Protomen's cover CD thing!

Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Mind posting about how you decoded the barcode?

I'm using the image right from caspar's post about it on Version Industries and can't get any online decoder to work.
http://versionindustries.com/

Shed some light on it?

Visit my Bandcamp!
On Facebook? Become a fan! Or, uh, "like" me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Srever
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

when i said it was painful, i meant it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_128 was my start but...

http://grandzebu.net/informatique/codbar-en/code128.htm

^^ this is where I got it all. The process was essentially determining the width of each bar and space, and finding which character it matched.
I can post a picture showing this better later tonight.

(I also couldn't get an online one to work :p)
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

It does pretty much check out. If you go to a code generator, and put in "coverupfilm.com" it spits something out that looks exactly like it, so.

A whois on the domain tells us jack--it's been protected. This is smart since if it spit back a couple different names, it'd be easy to tell who registered it. ;D

But it DOES tell us that the domain was registered very recently--12/10 of last year. So yeah...let's see how this pans out.

Visit my Bandcamp!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Srever
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

what I still find odd is the mispelling of "KEEP QUIET" as "KEEP QBIET". I even figured it was a U=B thing, and tried searching "coverbpfilm.com", but this also yeilded nothing.

I feel tempted to check the barcodes on my other merch now...
TDG
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

Srever, eh? Sounds like one of them fake internet names (Like Tastyvein).

So what does "Srever" mean? It's "reverse" backwards...so maybe it's something about going forward instead of backward?

Either way, I'M ON TO YOU.

Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

Srever wrote:
what I still find odd is the mispelling of "KEEP QUIET" as "KEEP QBIET". I even figured it was a U=B thing, and tried searching "coverbpfilm.com", but this also yeilded nothing.

I feel tempted to check the barcodes on my other merch now...

Vinyl--at least the first pressing--doesn't seem to have one.

In retrospect, it actually seems obvious that the cassette barcode might be faked--there's no intention of them selling it in stores (unlike the CDs) due to its limited nature; and also there's no two numbers beside it.

EDIT: Also, I didn't see anything interesting about the other barcodes; they seem legit.

While we're on the subject: I asked if there was anything "hidden" in the cassette artwork at MAGFest and all they told me was that the middle number on the sign is 525.

TDG: You are not the only one who is suspicious.

Visit my Bandcamp!
Srever
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

Suspicious? of me?
I accept that. It's totally "reverse" reversed without the E... My 15-year old self thought I was so clever.

Have you checked the barcode on the vinyl of the vanity set? that's what i'm checking when i get home from work.

I took a look at that 9-digit sign, seemed suspicious... and 525 seems to reference 525-SEA (or whatever that old vanity cassette was...)
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

Srever wrote:
Suspicious? of me?
I accept that. It's totally "reverse" reversed without the E... My 15-year old self thought I was so clever.

It's just, I dunno; it almost feels "plant"y. Someone on the inside, sent out to give the fandom that push that they obviously need to start looking at stuff.

I'm not given a reason to 'not' be suspicious either, mind you. We'll see.

Quote:
Have you checked the barcode on the vinyl of the vanity set? that's what i'm checking when i get home from work.

I actually don't know where mine is. (Bad fan!)

Quote:
I took a look at that 9-digit sign, seemed suspicious... and 525 seems to reference 525-SEA (or whatever that old vanity cassette was...)

Murphy said he didn't know what the third numbers would be. 525 is definitely that.

Visit my Bandcamp!
Srever
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:39 pm  Reply with quote

While I can currently neither prove nor disprove being a plant, I will graciously accept being the one to push the fandom to look at stuff.

Just checked my vanityset vinyl -- seems normal. But I'm a man of my word, so here's the picture I promised. (excuse my haphazard photoshop skills)

The sign on the cassette's splash is (with 525 added) now this:
5XX (where X is covered up numbers)

So let's do the time honoured tradition of replacing numbers with letters, where (A=1, B=2, C=3, etc etc)

DIE
EBE
E--

But I'm also amazing at implicating myself and jumping to conclusions at the same time.
Onslaught Six
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 am  Reply with quote

I don't think the numbers on the sign have any significance.

I think all we can do now is watch coverupfilm.com and see if anything turns up.

Visit my Bandcamp!
Deo Maxima
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 am  Reply with quote

Everybody who has the cassette, get out your liner and look closely at the sky just above and to the left of the wrecked truck. Three bright fireballs descending from the clouds, toward the city.

What the FUCK are those?

Look like missiles to me - 'And the spark that we carry will turn the dark into
A flame of fire and light
'?

Also: "A darkness will block out the sun" - well, that's one thing that happens during a nuclear winter/fallout scenario..

Edit: to fix lyric citations, adding random speculah
MrRoboto
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Deo Maxima wrote:
Everybody who has the cassette, get out your liner and look closely at the sky just above and to the left of the wrecked truck. Three bright fireballs descending from the clouds, toward the city.

What the FUCK are those?

Look like missiles to me - 'And the spark that we carry will turn the dark into
A flame of fire and light
'?

Also: "A darkness will block out the sun" - well, that's one thing that happens during a nuclear winter/fallout scenario..

Edit: to fix lyric citations, adding random speculah

I wonder if there any other peoples other than the City out there...

lalalei2001
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

If there are maybe they're being controlled too >.> How the WORLD fell under darkness, after all...